Monday, January 30, 2006

Conservative IT philosophy
and Movable Type choice

Everyone seems to be moving to Wordpress, I thought. Then I read: "About.com switching to Wordpress", but since I'm new to weblog development and I really don't know what features to look for in weblogs, I chose a traditional conservative IT approach . I chose Movable Type. Reports of features that didn't work and features that didn't work the way you'd expect them to, like the new WYSIWYG editor's rendering of lists scared me. I have deadlines to meet.

I wasn't that impressed with Movable Type either. Hundreds of sites have customized MT though, so you at least have examples of what can be done with it with an expenditure of customization effort.

The choice would have been different if I had a better overall view of blog functionality and how Wordpress compared with Moveable, if technical writers could describe software from the top-down better [Knuth's Literate Programming, Software Documentation], but I'm still making my way through the Open source Jungle. What I'd choose for my own personal use is different from what I'd choose for a company.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home